09/10/2011

Sir Alex Ferguson tells England Under-21 manager Danny Welbeck is not available


Pearce is down to one fit striker after Nathan Delfouneso, of Aston Villa, and Leicester’s Martyn Waghorn picked up injuries in Thursday’s European Championship qualifier in Iceland and he pondered turning to Welbeck for Monday night’s match in Norway. However, Pearce revealed a chat with Ferguson ended those plans. The England Under-21 manager said: “I spoke to Sir Alex straight after the [Iceland] game.
“He had concerns about Danny travelling back from Montenegro [with England’s senior side] and then getting on a plane to Oslo.
“I quite understood that but I had to make the call because I’ve only got one striker in the squad. I had a decent chat with him and moved on from there. I quite understand his position.”

No comments:

Post a Comment