13/10/2011

Dalglish expects Liverpool to extend the contracts of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher


The pair's current deals end in 2013 and the Liverpool manager said: “Anybody who is an asset to the football club I am sure we will look forward to keeping.’’
Gerrard will be 33 and Carragher 35 when their current deals lapse but the pair are such pillars of the Anfield dressing-room community that the club will want them to stay on — if the players do.
“He’s not on a Zimmer!’’ Dalglish said of Gerrard. “He’s probably fitter now than he was before. He’s still going to be charging forward. Steven won’t change.
“Steven has been fantastic for the football club and everybody would want him to go on for as long as he could because he has always been a fabulous asset for this club.
"Long may it continue. Whatever he wants to do we will go along with. Both him and Carra are fantastic examples – two people who everybody else can look up to.” 

Dalglish stressed that contract negotiation was not “my domain”, pointing out that the director of football Damien Comolli “does all that stuff” and that he was not aware whether Liverpool had a contractual policy for players in their thirties.
“Damien has never told me a figure they have in mind that when they get to 30 they only get a one-year contract,’’ said Dalglish. “For me you judge a player on what they are doing on the pitch.
“I got a long contract when I was 33 which I couldn’t believe. For me it doesn’t matter about age.
"If you are 20 and not making a contribution you are not going to get a contract. If you are 30 and making a contribution you have more chance of getting one.
"I am not rigid. Everyone is different. People can last longer. If you look at Craig Bellamy he is 32.”

No comments:

Post a Comment