29/09/2011

Frank Lampard says being relegated to the bench has made him more determined than ever to succeed


The 33 year-old was speaking after scoring the goal that earnedChelsea a crucial point against tough Spanish opposition. It was only his second start in five matches and there had been a debate over whether he would be included by manager Andre Villas-Boas.
"I always want to play, that’s a given," Lampard said later. "I’ve been like that throughout my career. I love playing for this club. I am very proud of playing here. I’ve had knocks before in my career ... it makes me worker harder to come back."
Although a point at the Mestalla is a result that Villas-Boas said he would have accepted before the contest, there was disappointment at the way in which Valencia were awarded a late penalty through Salomon Kalou’s handball.
"Qualification games in the group stage can be slightly bland at times but this was more exciting," Lampard said. "You have to find a middle ground of protecting your lead and playing attractive stuff. From our point of view it was a good performance although disappointing to lose that lead."
Villas-Boas added: "It was a good display by Lampard, who performed for the team and the team performed for him. The goal has come at a good time for him."

No comments:

Post a Comment